Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Going Back To School

I have made the decision to go back to school. I want to be an x-ray tech and eventually get into ultrasound. The problem I am having, however, is what school I want to go to. There is this school in Nashville, The High Tech Institute, that offers a diploma in X-ray tech along with some training as a medical assistant and the program is a little over a year. The problem with that school is that it is a diploma, not a degree. The difference in those two is with a degree you have to take your history, English, etc whereas a diploma you only take the course that are necessary for the degree, which is what I believe in but if I'm going to go to school then I want at least a degree. Another perk to this school is that I can start in January, which is what I want to do.
West KY Tech College is another college I have been looking at along with Bowling Green Tech College in KY. Both of these schools are an hour drive away (about the same as Nashville) and according to their website take new students for their radiology programs in the Fall. I don't want to wait that long to start school. Plus, since they are in KY and I live in TN the cost for tuition is much much higher. Also, these schools offer degree's but in order to get your associates in Radiology you have to go for five semesters, one of those being a summer semester. IDK... I'm just lost and I don't have much more time to figure it all out.

I had to go to the hospital yesterday to get an ultrasound done on my throat for a possible enlarged thyroid. I was talking to the lady that was doing the ultrasound and she told me that she lives here in Clarksville but drove up to Paducah, KY to go to the West KY Tech College to go to school. She had just graduated in August. She really enjoyed the school. She said that she looked into High Tech in Nashville but didn't choose them (obviously). The way she talked about them she wasn't to pleased with them. She did say, and so does the website, that with these two tech colleges in KY you take courses and then you have to do clinicals. I think those would be fun... but at the same time the one big thing holding me back on these two schools is starting in the fall.

Alright... I'm done blabbering for now. I have asked God for his assistance with helping point me in the right direction of what I need to do. I know he will come through for me... I just have to really listen to what he is telling me. I have also called both schools to get more information on their programs. They should get back to me on Monday so hopefully by the end of next week I can make my decision.

Have a Wonderful Thanksgiving everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Kim,

    I think you are headed in the right direction by researching the possible schools! By this you will find all the information you need to make a decision, and God will make it evident which one is right for you because when you make your decision you'll know its right! Just weigh all the pros and cons! I'm not too experienced about diplomas vs degrees. I would possibly call hospitals or clinics and talk with HR and ask them. I bet they would be glad to let you know if a diploma is sufficient enough. I would make sure of that first bc you don't want to do all that work and end up not being able to get the job you want!!

    Good Luck Hun!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog! Leave me a comment and tell me what you think!