Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Long Lost Relatives

Awhile ago, my step-mom showed me a pic of my half sister (whom we will call Mary) when she was two years old. She looked exactly like me! Blond hair and light color eyes! I couldn't believe it. Ever since then I have been waiting to meet her but have had no luck. First I sat down and wrote a letter to her and then one to her mom explaining who I was. I put a few pictures in there and then mailed them off to the address my step-mom gave me. The letters were not returned so I am assuming that they reached their destination. Now whether Mary's mom (whom we will call Sue) showed them to her I have no clue.

That was all 3 years ago. I was 19 and Mary was around 13 I believe.

About a month ago, if that, I was talking to Cheryl, my step-mom, and she said to look up 'Mary R*******) on FB. She believed that it was my half sister. Once FB loaded and pulled up her profile I could tell by her profile pic that we were related. She looks a lot like my cousin Erica when she was younger. The only sucky part was that her profile was to private that all I could do was friend request her. So not only did I friend request her so did my good friend Amanda.

About 3 weeks went by and all of a sudden Mary accepted Amanda's friend request, but not mine. Of course, at that exact moment my phone rings and it's Amanda. We talk about it for about, o 3 seconds and then we decided to have her send Mary a message asking her to get a hold of me. Once Amanda got done typing it she read it back to me and then clicked 'send'. Low and behold, a minute later Mary responds and asks if she could text message me. I told Amanda that was fine so she gave her my number. At this point I'm so excited and nervous that I'm shaking. I couldn't believe that I was about to talk to my half sister who I have never met. Well... the minutes came and went and I didn't receive any texts. I know she is probably wondering who these creeps are that are contacting her. lol I know I would be.

So here I sit, 10:36 on the morning of Tuesday, August 24 waiting for my phone to make it's little chime that notifies me that I have a text.

During all of this I have realized just how lucky I am. I am very grateful for my family and that my dad is apart of my life. Mary doesn't know (I don't think) who he is and with that she is missing out on all the wonderful people that make up my dad's side of the family. I can't imagine my life without them. My grandparents who have been there for my sister Robin and I since we were born. My aunts and uncles that are more like parents to us. Cousins that are more like siblings, and family friends that are more like relatives. So dad, (even though I know you will never read this because you have no clue how to turn on a computer! lol) thank you for being apart of my life. You are the best dad I could have ever asked for. I love you.

Mary, if you read this I hope none of this scares you. I'm not sure what you know or if you know anything about our dad but please know that he is a great guy. Yea he has made his fair share (plus a little) of mistakes but all in all he is good people! (I've always wanted to say that! The 'good people' part. lol) I hope that one day, if not now, we can talk and get to know each other, then maybe even possibly meet. :)

I hope everyone has a great rest of the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog! Leave me a comment and tell me what you think!